This part of lEC 60320 sets the general requirements for appliance couplers for two poles and two poles with earth contact and for the connection of electrical devices for household and similar onto the mains supply.
This part of lEC 60320 is also valid for appliance inlets/appliance outlets integrated or incorporated in appliances.
The rated voltage does not exceed 250 V (a.c.) and the rated current does not exceed 16 A.
Appliance couplers complying with this part of lEC 60320 are suitable for normal use at ambient temperatures not normally exceeding +40 °C, but their average over a period of 24 h does not exceed
+35 °C, with a lower limit of the ambient air temperature of –5 °C.
Appliance couplers are not suitable for
– use in place of plug and socket-outlet systems according to IEC 60884-1.
– use in place of devices for connecting luminaires (DCLs) according to IEC 61995 or luminaire supporting couplers (LSCs).
NOTE Requirements for d.c. are under consideration.
Modify Clause 1, third paragraph, by replacing with the following:
The rated voltage does not exceed 250 V (a.c.) and the rated current does not exceed 20 A.
This standard does not apply directly to the following devices, but supplements the standards applying to such devices:
– devices produced integrally with flexible cord or cable, which are covered by CSA C22.2 No. 21 and UL 817.
Modify Clause 1 by replacing the text of the NOTE with the following:
Requirements for d.c. are under consideration and do not apply.
Modification to add the following after the first paragraph:
This standard covers the above-noted products that are intended to be installed or used in accordance with:
– CSA C22.1, Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1, in Canada
– NFPA 70, National Electrical Code (NEC), in the United States.